Page Number using Navigator dialog

Hello All,

Does anyone know if there is a bug filed to re-arrange the sheet order, thus rearranging the page order? I wrote a perl script many moons ago to do this but it’s all CLI and require a bit of thinking every time I finish a schematic design review. It’s not hard to get the page order I like, but it seems like putting it in the Navigator dialog box with a page number and a way to move a sheet up and down would be much simpler. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be that much work, but I find myself thinking I need to carve out a few days just to understand the code well enough make a helpful bug report, thus the reason I’m asking if a bug is already out there.

1 Like

A sensible requirement for the schematic rewrite perhaps

My guess is the new eeSchema will be more than a while before release. Well for those wanting something now, I’ll put my scripts out on GIT when I take my vacation in a few weeks. I might even write a nice Tk wrapper in python to run up and down the hierarchy (I do this in a bash script now and most Windows people don’t know about shell power). Stay tuned:)

1 Like

Oddly enough every other discussion on reordering page numbers has been closed for inactivity after three months. This one has not after some five years.

So has anything happened on this front? Is this issue addressed in revision 6? Or is the prescription to manually edit the main schematic in a text editor?

I mucked up the page order in a group project and I thought I figured out how to restore it. What happens to the page schematic if the block for that page is deleted in the main schematic? Can it be put back in? I’m wondering what it was that I did that disturbed the page order in the first place. Whatever it was, I should be able to restore it by applying the same steps in the right order.

At some point (Maybe 2 or 3 years ago?) all new topics that are inactive get closed after three months automatically.
Topics that were created before that date do not have this timeout and do not get closed automatically.

In KiCad-V5.99 you can enter a page number when creating a hierarchical sheet, and this page number can also be edited in the sheet properties of the hierarchical sheet.

So where do I find 5.99? The web site only shows 5.1.9. I don’t see options for downloading other versions.

If I use revision 5.99 will that cause compatibility issues with the rest of the team using 5.1.9?

What OS are you using? Instructions for downloading / installing are usually on the same page on kicad.org as the installation instructions for V5.1.x.

Projects saved in V5.99 can no longer be opened in V5.1.x.

Ok, so that’s a problem. So back to my original question. What happens if a block is removed from the main page? If the page number corresponds to the order the pages were added, could I add a second copy of each page block in the main page in the order I want and delete the original blocks? Would that do the trick?

Simple answer, yes.

5.99 is using a completely new file format for schematics (and symbol libraries) that 5.1.x doesn’t know about. I just read on another thread that there is hope that 5.99 will become v6RC1 out in a month or two (the thread actually placed that date at the end of April, but I’m hedging my bets). Until then, check out this plugin:

I’ve never used it so I can’t testify to how well it works nor what horrible, schematic altering bugs it has. :wink:

Actually, not really a plugin as EESchema doesn’t have a scripting API yet. It’s more of an accessory program.

Nightly Development Builds at the bottom of the Windows download page, after the warning in red.

Basically if you need to ask, don’t use a 5.99 yet, calling it Beta quality is debated.

In the KiCad world RC1 does not mean potentially fit to release.
It does mean file formats and APIs should be frozen

Not interested in 5.99 as that would be a project problem. Once I eat dinner I will try manipulating the main schematic to figure out what it was that I did to alter the sheet order in the first place.

As far as V5.1.x concerned…
It has been mentioned on this forum. From what I remember it the order in which the sheets are listed in the “root” scheet in Eeschema.

Yeah, it’s the order of the sheets in hierarchy. I wrote a script to reorder my pages because it was easy to do. I figure it will show up in a release at some point. I’ll post if anyone is interested.

I remember from years ago a slide by a detractor of C++ giving a very potted history:

• C++ version X released
  • C++ version Y overpowers its captors and escapes

:rofl:

I tried copying the sheet block on the main sheet as well as deleting the block and adding it back. Deleting the block requires a redo of any formatting of the block. I’m using the blocks to form a diagram, so that is too much work, but it puts the new sheet at the end of the main schematic file and so the last page number. The copying operation also seems to move the copied sheet to the end of the file and so the last page number. This preserves the size and other details, so is easier to do.

However, in the end I just copied the sheets in the main sheet file via text editor. It was just easier. But at least now I know I must have tried copying a block on the main page which mucked the page order.

The delimiters of the sheets are $Sheet and $EndSheet with only four lines between. Not remotely hard to do and it doesn’t require touching every block again if you need to put something near the head of the list.

I’ve done this in the past and then made a change (either adding sheets or removing sheets, I don’t recall) which threw my sheets out of order again. Don’t expect your change to be non-volitile.

That plugin that I linked purports to do this but with a pretty interface. Again, I haven’t used it so I don’t know what if any bugs are in it. (I.e. make a backup before using it, like one should always do before using any untested tool.) Unfortunately, the repository doesn’t provide any binaries. Probably developed on a Linux system where it is perfectly reasonable to expect that a C++ compiling environment already exists (unlike MS Windows).