New Exporting Tool! Looking for Tester!(Closed)

Thanks, no I have not been on the forum for a while. I just started with the latest Kicad last week.

I want to say we have a daily limit of downloads set to 5 parts without a
subscription/license. The person responsible for that is currently out of
the office. I can see what we can do about you getting some upgraded
abilities since you are assisting with the KiCAD testing.

@D_Jones That would be awesome.

Your tool should be brought to the attention of everybody using Kicad since it is such a time saver.

Could you tell me why my installation of Ultra Librarian (WinXP32) do not allow export with Free Reader?
I used UL before and have older versions which still work and can export .bxl to many CAD tools. Now, I wanted to test KiCAD export option. But version 8.1.24, downloaded from TI web page does not allow me to do that. See my previous post above. On the long list of CAD tools all are grayed out except one Cadence and one Mentor tool.

@pssivv Did you delete the older version before installing the new version? It says deleting the old version is requried.

So glad that you are enjoying the tool and we strive to make it even
better!! I’ll definitely see what we can do about getting you a license!!

@pssivv I’d try updating your software. I believe the current version is
8.1.174. This may solve any issues that you are currently experiencing.

Thanks. That might be the problem. Old version was there.

Now, 8.1.24 is clean installed and works!
Yes, will upgrade to newer versions.
The UL tool is great, thank you!

Is it still possible to join the testing ?

I believe the testing is done. It is ready to download and use now.

If this triggers a response from the dev I take the opportunity to ask if we can have a native Linux version?

Hey guys,

Testing is done and the tool is available for download now as was
previously stated before.

As far as Linux goes, I’ll have to look into it. We have been pretty busy
lately but I’ll definitely get some info on the likelihood of development
for Linux users.

We’d certainly appreciate having export to gEDA gschem/PCB and pcb-rnd available as export options too, one of the other major FLOSS EDA toolchains.

We’ve been using:

and

To convert the Huffman encoded BXL schematic and footprint symbols into gEDA compatible formats (and by extension, footprints able to be imported into Kicad).

Linux support for Ultralibrarian would be great.

In the absence of Linux support, the parametric footprint creation tool, fped ( http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/fped/gui.html ) which supports export to Kicad and gEDA PCB / pcb-rnd, and similar footprint creation tools, plus conversion of existing BXL files, will remain a preferred approach on Linux.

Regards,

Erich.

1 Like