Missing checkboxes [SOLVED]

I have recently installed Kicad Version: 5.1.4-e60b266~84~ubuntu18.04.1, release build, wxWidgets 3.0.4, on an Xubuntu 18.04 system running XFCE4.

I do not see any check boxes anywhere (in library management - ACTIVE), properties visible/not …
Strangely I did once see a checkbox when clicking in a field, set it and then when I reopened the dialog it was gone.

I could find no mention of this problem elsewhere so it has to be something peculiar to my system, but I don’t know where to start looking

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Some screen shots of what you’re seeing might help…

Cheers,
Jeff.

As seen below the checkboxes (and checkmarks) are not displayed. After lots of investigation I now realize that it is checkboxes in tables that are missing, not the checkboxes in the other dialogs. After trying various versions of Xubuntu in Virtualbox (all worked correctly) and removing and reinstalling kicad (didn’t work), I discovered that creating a new user on my system worked. I tried deleting .config/kicad for my original user and that didn’t work.
Of note is that clicking in the centre of the cell (where the checkbox should be) causes the setting to toggle so it is just the display that is not correct.

Summary

This text will be hidden

Just an offtopic side note. You seem to be using v4 libraries instead of v5 libraries. It may be intentional but for many users it happens by accident and causes problems.

Thanks - it is intentional . IMHO kicad “screwed the pooch” when it comes to library management. I have dozens of boards using 3, 4, 4.1 libraries and now a couple of ver 5. It would be so easy to have a setting to be able to use different system tables on a per project/template basis and while it is great that someone got off their high horse and changed housings to packages it is a pain. I upgraded to 5 just to get a board finished and be able to view the notes on the bottom layer flipped (great feature by the way).
Oh well you can’t have everything

It came to me at 4 in morning!
I was using a misconfigured theme (Settings-Appearance-style). All others except Raleigh were OK.
Fixed the theme (Clearlooks) and all appears to be well now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.