Mid mount connector footprint using edge cut [solved]

I did a search for cut lines in footprints and old posts say you need to edit text file. I’m just wondering if this has changed. The connector I am using would be useless without cut lines.

This is currently the correct approach.
The footprint editor does not permit you do put stuff on the edge.cuts layer. But you can put it on any other layer and move it to edge cuts via a text editor.
(Use a layer where you put nothing else, makes it easier to find what you need.)
I would put the cut outline on the bottom fab layer at first and search in the file for “(layer B.Fab)” and replace it with “(layer Edge.Cuts)”

I tested it in kicad stable v4.0.2 i also remember that in nightly it is the same. But i’m not at the computer with the nightlies installed to test this.

If you ever open that file in the fp editor again, the edge.cuts stuff will be moved on another layer.

The next thing you would need to make absolutely sure is to match the endpoints of your footprint edge.cuts drawing with the one for the pcb in pcbnew.

The better approach is to chose one of the free-to-chose-layers (I took Dwgs.User) and put that information into there.

If you move the footprint, you don’t open/destroy the pcb outline.
You’ll always have it as reference - you’ll never loose that information.
And if you want to change it on the fly, you don’t have to change the footprint.
Example:

Editing the text works, thanks. I haven’t tried placing it on a PCB, yet. Another answer so I am editing. The main reason I asked is I was wondering what if that part is shared. Apparently it can’t be shared. I can do the cuts without putting them in the footprint because I do both footprint design and PCB design.

Zero clue here.

I am just curious though, what in the drawing provided shows edge cuts being required. I’m normally above average in reading diagrams, and I just don’t see it. I’m always willing to learn new things.

Ahh, GOT IT! Never mind the above question, (the 3D view doesn’t show the back of the connector well enough to easily establish that the single profile view is the side view).

Now, I’m curious as to the reasons for wanting to use that specific form factor for that connector! No worries if you want to ignore my curiosity.

[quote=“Sprig, post:5, topic:5791”]
Now, I’m curious as to the reasons for wanting to use that specific form factor for that connector!
[/quote]

pcb plane vs external access to the connector in conjunction with enclosure design. By moving half of the connector height INTO the pcb, the top side won’t stick out that far and if you only populate it with low SMDs the whole device can become very FLAT :wink:

1 Like

That will help a LOT of members here I am certain. I did not even see that line to mean what it was. But, I am really tired tonight, not a big surprise.

Once I realized the 2-D view was of the side, I could visualize that the Z-axis required a cut out.

All of this would have made sense to me in seconds if there was a label for “board edge” pointing to the line you highlighted.

Thanks very much for the time you spent for that clarification.

Like I said, tired tonight; I should have noticed that.

And, THANKS AGAIN!

If not annoyed by my curiosity; you edited that photo really quick. What software did you use to make that highlight?

Paint Shop Pro (X2)… I essentially grew up with it when it came from Jasc, before Corel bought it. It’s a ‘dumbed down’/‘light’ version of Photoshop more or less. Not as complicated, but gives you a lot more options than say windows paint.
So far I haven’t had luck to find a OSS replacement that works similarly as I’m pretty lazy :worried:.

I’m trying GIMP now and then, but as I’m not forced to use it I never really get to it and fight it’s interface all the time, but I’m sure it would be the go-to-solution for me if I was a blank sleet.

What you want:

• layers + controls (like opacity, blending)
  • some brush control
  • some filters (brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc.)
  • being able to draw rectangles/text/circles/etc…
  • image resize/canvas resize.

3 minutes in GIMP 2.8:

Time to set it up like you can see here was ~15min (actually just installed the latest windows version to see how it is since I checked last time).
Has all the features I’d want afai-can-see, just different to how I’m used to :neutral_face:

Missing some basic toolbar at the top (image rotate, paste/copy, files save/open/etc.) and for active tools an options bar at the top with the settings that are relevant and some life-preview.
The information is all there, but needlessly hidden and hard to get to… could be a way nicer experience really.

PSPx2 interface how I’m used to (same result takes me 30sec in PSPx2):

At the moment, if I wouldn’t know PSP I’d use GIMP I guess.
But from my personal POV it’s lacking in comparison or needs some plugins/modules that allow what I want (maybe available - didn’t check).
As I said - never have the need to really stick around and try to work with it.

Creating outline marks like I do all the time is a bit more complicated in GIMP than I’m used to in PSP and you get no preview (create on another layer to get the opacity effect):

Btw, the program window resizes when you zoom the image (even when maximized)… very annoying.
Here is the option to disable it.

1 Like

I’ve actually purchased Paint Shop Pro in two different versions from Jasc, but never any after Corel bought them. Adobe to me always seemed like using a 12lb sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail, while MS Paint was like trying to use a child’s plastic hammer to drive a 10 penny nail; neither being the right the tools for the jobs I wanted to do.

Anyways, I don’t think we de-railed this thread as I’m fairly certain the OP could have come back and edited to indicate that his question was solved. Thanks for the answers.

I would use gimp to crop the image. (selection tool + crop to selection)
But inkscape to create any markings on it.
(The path tool for lines and simple shapes (rectangle and circle) for everything else. And of course the text tool.)

Inkscape can import all pixel formats and can export them.
In linux at least i can rightclick open with inkscape on a png image and overwrite it with the normal save operation (crtl+s) from within inkscape. Using this i the of course loose the apility to change anything later. If this is required simply make a second save operation where a inkscape svg is saved. I’m not certain if this workflow works as easily with jpg.

Yeah, looks like a cross of Inkscape and GIMP would give me a PSP-like feature set.
Also funny that Inkscape’s toolbars (at least for one setting under ‘View’, think it’s ‘Default’) has got the basic config right for me, which is missing in GIMP.

Wow, a lot has happened since my last post. About sharing, I wasn’t thinking about sharing at KiCad. I have worked for large companies all my life and the designers and the librarians are in different groups so sharing is still allays on my mind. The reason I picked this form factor is two connectors (HDMI and USB) need to be lined up on the Z-axis. I am playing with a board to plug into an Atrix lap dock so I use the the connectors the Atrix phone uses. A simple idea that turned out to be a bag of worms.

GIMP is and image modification program
Inkscape is an artistic creation program

Sorry for resurrecting this post from the dead. Is this still the recommended practice for KiCAD 5.1? I checked 5.1 and did not see a way to edit edge cuts in a footprint, did I miss it?

You didn’t.
There is a workaround.

When editing a footprint draw the edges on an unused layer, let’s say Eco1.User

Then save the footprint and change the layer Eco1.User to Edges.Cuts with a text editor.

see https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1251393

@pedro, @Rene_Poschl; thanks for the responses guys - I am familiar with the ‘work around / bandage’, was just wondering if KiCAD5.1 makes a more integrated way to make edge cuts in footprint available.