Lost all global libraries (SOLVED)

Is there a simple way to get back all global libraries i/o import them one by one?
reinstalling software does not help because setting is stored somewhere even cleaned out registry but also that did not help.

any suggestion is welcome

regards Jasper
PA2J

“Registry” refers to Windows so I suppose you are using Windows. Your personal KiCad’s configuration files are in %appdata%\kicad. The global fp-lib-table and sym-lib-table are the global library tables which should be there. I you have erased their contents by accident you can remove those files and restart KiCad; it copies the default tables to your configuration again. But they contain only KiCad’s own default libraries, not those which you may have added to those tables manually.

If you mean something else, please elaborate.

EDIT: I also suppose you are using the latest KiCad version. It’s good to always mention your version, possibly copying information from Help->About KiCad->Copy Version Info. It looks like this:

Application: kicad
Version: (5.1.0-34-g078320e2f), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

files mentioned in the reply are not there…
only see manual added footprint libraries , getting crazzy about this that this is not reset after a fresh installation of the software

Application: kicad
Version: (5.1.0)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Take a look at: Library management in KiCad version 5
It has a full section for the topic “reset to default” and also details on how to manually add libs (*) if the reset to default workflow seems to dangerous. (It also gives general advice on how to properly setup your personal library system to ensure that it works well.)

(*) TlDr: adding multiple libs using the library manager is done by using shift plus leftclick or crtl plus leftclick to select multiple libs using the file browser like tool that opens for adding libs.

1 Like

afbeelding

found the files… will now delete them and restart Kicad…

That did the trick :slight_smile: Thanks!! also Rene for helpng out here

cheers

Jasper
PA2J

1 Like

The files mentioned are there. You can see the file’s name and path in the screenshot. That file has four library entries.
EDIT: I wrote before you replied.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.