KiCad + PCB Library Expert

There’s a Windows application called PCB Library Expert (see: http://pcblibraries.com) that can generate IPC 7351 standard land patterns, and export to various CAD packages, including Eagle and many others. Its super helpful, but there’s no good way to use it with KiCad. Per a thread on their forum, it seemed like there might be some hope for KiCad support two years ago… but today, an admin there posted:

KiCad will not work with us like every other CAD vendor does … We tried working with KiCad but they will not help us. So please bring your argument to KiCad.

http://www.pcblibraries.com/forum/topic1320_post7496.html#7496

This seems odd, as KiCad is a community project, not a vendor… If we want to try to find a constructive solution, to whom should this “argument” be taken? The developer list-serve? I’ll try to get more information, and cross-reference this thread on the PCB libraries forum.

Either one of the KiCAD devs (who look into this forum) will have a story to share on that one or your next best bet to ask for some ‘insight’ would be the question list on launchpad for KiCAD here:

Looking at PCBlibraries business model I would say it’s incompatible with a native KiCAD client, unless the developers put in some code to protect the footprints/models that pcblibraries offers to the user for cold hard cash… seems the answer to your question is pretty simple and they don’t want to invest coding time into something that works on closed-source stuff when KiCAD is about sharing stuff with the community for free.

Which IPC 7351 standard land patterns are you missing from the free libraries, which can’t be found somewhere else on the net and which you can’t make your self?

PS:
I think we’re 1-2 years away from some parametric, easy to use, included into KiCAD footprint editor… there was one that worked online a couple of months ago, so people out there are doing stuff.

I expect that their business model is not compatible with open source products. Comments like

We just don’t develop encrypted CAD tool interfaces out of thin air. We need help from the CAD vendor.

Suggest they want Kicad to support an encrypted interface to their stuff, i.e. DRM, because there is nothing in Kicad that is encrypted. In any open source project, interfaces will be open, transparent and available to anyone - no DRM.

So I suggest the “problem” is entirely with PCB LIbraries, and it’s not technical but business oriented.

1 Like

I understand the business model observations here, as PCB Library Expert is commercial software. Considering this, I’ve been pleasantly surprised about how permissive they actually are. I have the “Lite” edition, which was available for no cost when I obtained it a year or two ago (still is, I think). This version has a very comprehensive library of land patterns, including reference configurations, and also allows for edits of every parameter and dimension – so the footprint can be matched perfectly with the datasheet, and exported to any of several CAD packages. In the case of Eagle, the output files are not binary, or encrypted, or DRM’ed or anything like that – they are just plain text XML and SCR files. This is why an open and transparent KiCad translator seems plausible to me. If there are in fact “business model” roadblocks, they must be legal/licensing related, rather than technical.

While the KiCad footprint libraries are good and improving, I’ve been burned a few times - mainly because of my ignorance/inexperience. I like PCB Library Expert (Lite) because it gives me very detailed control over selection and tweaking of land patterns, and with that a high degree of confidence that I have created the correct layout. I’ve attached a few screenshots for a randomly selected QFN package to show the workflow and output.

I’ll keep looking for a solution, and post an update here if I get anywhere.

I think Kicad can read Eagle files, although I’ve never tried that. According to the EULA of PCB Library Expert, it is only licensed for use with a particular package, and you are not allowed to use the footprints with anything else. SnapEda produce footprints in Kicad format. I can’t really see any legal or license issues from Kicad point of view. So I’m at a loss really to explain why PCB LIbrary folk have a problem.

I looked at PCB LIbrary Expert, but I declined the EULA. As a hobbyist who likes to share designs, the license is too restrictive. As a professional, I’m not sure I would want to lock myself in to such a tool either. Technically it looks very good though.

Some promising news from the PCB Libraries forum:

The KiCad interface was added to V2016.01 and the beta version which is released to beta testers.

Library Expert Lite with the KiCad interface will be available late next week.

I will check this out as soon as it is available.

Same here, if necessary I’ll even buy KiCad export feature in addition to my PCBL Librarian license.

It’s available: http://www.pcblibraries.com/forum/library-expert-201601-released_topic1846.html

As it’s a first release with KiCad export capability I believe there might be some issues or limitations. I’ll continue testing it myself and urge other interested users do the same and report bugs to PCBL if any.