Just downloaded kicad 4.0 stable, started a new project went to place a new component and there are no libraries?

There are only 15 libraries uder: /usr/share/kicad/library/
Those are actel.lib, analog_devices.lib, ir.lib, maxim.lib, and so on. Almost nothing.
That is the problem. I did not found any other library location.

Have you installed kicad-library package? I’m assuming you are using a debian based OS (ubuntu, mint etc).

That was it!
No, I have not manually installed them. Now I did and it’s all here.
For anybody else: If You do not have schematic symbols, just install that package with
sudo apt-get install kicad-library

Hi,

Have the same problem here and tried to understand the steps for getting the libraries, Tried everything but no success. Could somebody please explain it in a more clear way how to get them installed ?

I am on Windows 10.

Thanks and regards Rainer

Thank You and that is the place where I downloaded the installation package and even so when trying to assign footprints to my components in eeschema it does not work.

I am just reading the following in the link you gave me

quote: " There is a minor issue with this version, where you need to
redefine the paths set in pcbnew → preferences → configure paths to
your install location. "

Would you please help me how to do it ?

I might have the problem that I have a Spanish Windows version and the paths are configured with C:\Program Files… and in my C:\ directory that is there like C:\Archivos de Programa… which is the translation but when adding that Spanish pad to the list, it automatically turns it into English

I am clueless … Interestingwise the rc1 (release candidate 1 ?) did work ¿?

Look here at my path cofiguration http://astroforo.net/astro/vibrar/KiCad_path_problem.PNG after opening PCBNew and going into preferences>configure paths

What I mentioned above is when I get into the preferences of the main KiCad window

Hi,

here is one more screenshot of the problem

http://astroforo.net/astro/vibrar/Problem_KiCad4.PNG

Problem:

Error dialog appears, "Errors were encountered loading footprints
IO_ERROR: http GET command failed
Cannot get/download Zip archive:

Reason: ‘Not found’

"

Fix:

Kicad library maintainers removed some deprecated libraries from github between release of RC2 and 4.0.0-stable.

You need to remove the following github libraries from your fp-lib-table:

Capacitors_Elko_ThroughHole.pretty
Housings_SOT.pretty
Housings_SOT-23_SOT-143_TSOT-6.pretty
Housings_SOT-89.pretty
Housings_TO-12_TO-18_TO-42_TO-43.pretty
Housings_TO-50.pretty
Housings_TO-78.pretty
Housings_TO-92.pretty
Transistors_SMD.pretty
Transistors_TO-220.pretty
Transistors_TO-247.pretty
Power_Packages_SMD.pretty
Power_Packages_ThroughHole.pretty
Pentawatts.pretty
Housings_ROHM.pretty
Sockets_PGA.pretty
Sockets_DIP.pretty
Muonde.pretty
Printtrafo_CHK.pretty
Crystals_Oscillators_SMD.pretty
Oscillator-Modules.pretty

OK I found the fp-lib-table and tried to open it and no way. Then I just renamed it into fp-lib-table.txt and voila I was able to open it.

OK, opened the fp-lib-table with WordPad and guess what :smile:
None of the pretty files you mention is in the list

Maybe you found the file that came with the installer in Program Files\Kicad? The actual file used is in “C:\Users\-user-\AppData\Roaming\kicad”, or wherever your Windows “user” folder is.

But the recommended GUI way to edit the footprint library table is to go to pcbnew, then select Preferences->Footprint Libraries Manager.

Install Notepad++ and you get a context entry for it when you right click on ANY file in your windows explorer that will open it with that program. No need to rename anything or use WordPad.

Most loved feature of that prog by me is the Plugins>Compare thing… open 2 similar files, send one to another view and have them compared. Very useful.

Hi bobc,

Yes I found that roaming folder and there is only a folder named kicad_proyects and that one is empty ¿?

What sort of path do I have to set in Preferences > Footprint in pcbnew

I am getting more and more confused :confused:

Please remember that not everybody knows how to navigate in those paths or whatever and what paths to search for etc.

¿?

Your Path Configuration should look something like this:

kicad_path_config

My setup is Windows 7, 64 bit, EN, so your paths might be different.

To edit the footprint library table, open pcbnew, then select menu option Preferences->Footprint Libraries Manager.
Find the library in the list that appears in the error message, select it.
Then click “Remove Library”
Repeat as necessary.
Click OK.

kicad_flm_edit

Hi bobc,

Thank you very much for taking the time and explaining it to me via screenshots.

I did it exactly as you described and still get the error.

Now I have the eeschema window open with a drawn circtuit. There I click on Run CvPcb … in order to associate components with footprints ¿ correct ? and there is where I get now the error again and again after already having removed the libraries as told by you.

Exactly the ones I removed using Preferences > Footprint Libraries Manager …

As per your screen shot you can see that my paths are the same as yours

¿?

The process I described works on my setup. If you have removed the missing libs, the errors should go away. Unless you have a different error.

Hi bobc,

Well I just went the long way

see my posting in the message

and now what ? :smile:

Is my work flow wrong ?

regards Rainer

OK, it runs now. Loks like I did a mistake and did not make a Netlist before associating the footprints

SORRY

:blush:

Thank you!

Would be nice if these were installed with the application. Or could this be added to the download page?

Linux Mint 17.3

I agree. I understand that the windows install has everything.
I have not really used kicad very much as it will not do the things that
I require in a PCB design. Ah well maybe in the next stable??

Rich klestinez

Even on Windows you have to be careful. I have been running KiCad since 4.0.0 and have just noticed that several libraries have been renamed XXX_ThroughHole to XXX_THT. As I take a copy into /users/myname/… to avoid problems writing in /Program Files, my fp-lib-table was not updated, I was missing the newer and cleaned up versions