Empty symbols.lib exported for KiCad by Ultra Librarian free reader

I’m using Ultra Librarian free reader v.8.1.45, to import a .blx file from Analog Devices and export it for KiCad. On loading the .blx into Ultra Librarian I see the footprint in the PatternView window, the schematic symbol in the SymbolView window, and a ModelView window. I select KiCad as the tool to export to then click Export to Selected Tools and browse to

C:\UltraLibrarian\Library\Exported\KiCad\[DateTime folder]

Sure enough there’s a footprints.pretty folder (with a valid .kicad_mod file) and a symbols.lib file. The symbols.lib file contains only the header lines

EESchema-LIBRARY Version 2.3 Date: [date-time]
#encoding utf-8

then nothing else. Also I notice that no readme textfile is output during the export, which I understood should happen. Has anyone struck similar problems or can anyone help please? TIA.

I tried the free UltraLibrarian reader, and it crashes when generating the KiCad export, even with the sample BXL files provided with UL. Others like Cadence or Eagle seem to export fine. UL seems to get part way through the KiCad export before crashing, there is a pretty file, but symbol.lib contains two lines like you found.

So I guess it’s a bug in UltraLibrarian, and your best route is to contact them.

Thanks for the fast response bobc. Must admit I haven’t had UL crash as you describe. Maybe we’re using different versions or different OSs - I’m on Win7Pro32. I guess the main thing was getting the footprint export. Creating symbols isn’t such a big deal, and anyway I don’t much like the schematic symbol that displays in UL from that .bxl file. At least in KiCad it’s easy to link the exported footprint with a homebrew symbol.

Ok, I’m on Win7 64, that might make a difference. Maybe we have different versions of UL.

I see UL start to display a dialog box, but then all the UL windows disappear, there is no error box or anything. So I guess an exception occurs during export.

I’m having the same issue. Also on Win7 64, but I’ve also tried KiCAD exports on 32 (with no luck).
Trying to export a Microchip footprint- PIC32MZEF100 .

Was your issue resolved from contacting their support?

I’m also having this problem. I am on Win7 64 as well running UL 8.1.108. I am trying to export some Analog Device parts to KiCAD.
Has there been any luck in finding a solution?

a workaround is to export to Eagle, then kicad can read Eagle :smiley:

1 Like

Yep, just found the .ulp work around. Thanks!

You can convert BXL files to gEDA symbols and footprints, which Kicad should be able to import easily, with:

I plan to implement Kicad export in due course.

As of today

the software component used by

can export eeschema symbols (.lib) as well.

See also Importing gEDA "*.sym" and/or "*.bxl"

KiCad’s pcbnew supports the gEDA PCB footprint format, so pcbnew s-expression or legacy .mod export has not been implemented.

Direct any complaints/issues to the issues section of the BXL2text github repo.

translate2geda is yet to have these changes incorporated.

https://github.com/erichVK5/BXL2text now makes the use of “ultralibrarian” or intermediate Eagle formats unnecessary.

Regards,

Erich.

1 Like

Hello All I wanted to make everyone aware that we (Ultra Librarian) have recently added new and improved support for KiCad on the Ultra Librarian website. Ultra Librarian provides online access to component information and pre-built parts. When downloading parts simply choose the KiCad option and your symbols and footprints will be downloaded in the KiCad format for you. Check out our video on how to get started, give it a try and let us know what you think!: https://www.ultralibrarian.com/solutions/cad-vendors/kicad-pcb-libraries