Added environment variable not appearing in Manage Symbol Libaries path list

Windows 10 64 bit. KiCad 5.1.2

In order the use the supplied libraries plus my own, I’m following the suggestions here Library management in KiCad version 5

I’ve added three environment variables for my libraries:
config%20paths

When I open “Manage Symbol Libraries” The new variables do not appear.

If a add a line to the upper table the new environment variable is recognized and expanded. The expansion is not the desired behavior as it means I cannot relocate my libraries easily.

Any suggestions?

They will only appear when there is a library entry that uses the substitution.

“Path Substitutions” is not intended to be a duplicate list of environment variables, but to indicate what substitutions would be performed based on what libraries have been added.

2 Likes

I added a note about this to the tutorial as it seems to be a frequent question.

1 Like

Interesting. I haven’t thought about that. But there’s a good reason: you can use not only those variables visible in the Configure Paths dialog, but also any external environment variable. Therefore, to list all possible variables, the list should show all environment variable visible for KiCad. That would be a long list of totally irrelevant entries, especially on Linux etc. where the system has dozens of miscellaneous variables defined.

1 Like

OK makes sense. I can just edit the symbol table file to get what I want.

Thanks to all,

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.